Friday, June 1, 2012

I am committed to commenting here once a day, just like on Kickstarter, but I expect the content to be different. I want to be less formal here and deal more with the nuts andbolts of making this Kickstarter Project work. I think (know) we are off to a fine start, but its still a roller-coaster ride. I genuinely appreciate everyones support.

Immediately, two issues have come up: PDFs and the unemployed.

Creating a final version of the Traveller5 CDROM has always been part of the long term plan; I intend to release one simultaneous with the hardcopy release. But it is only mentioned in passing on the Project page, and that lack has created some (negative?) buzz. Parallel with that was a discussion I had today with Matthew Sprange at Mongoose. He commented (and he had said it before) "We have already had one quarter where they [PDFs] exceeded paper sales, and I think we are about to hit another."

My plan was to implement inclusion of the CDROM as a Stretch Goal. In response to comments (I did say I wanted backers to help shape Traveller5), we'll implement the Traveller5 CDROM as part of Swag Gold (that is the $50 level). It would normally sell as a $35 CDROM, plus about $5 shipping anywhere in the world. The remainder of the cost is associated with Backer support and Swag associated with Kickstarter. For those to whom the slight premium is an issue, it will be possible to order the CDROM for delivery slightly after January 1. I hope that clears that all up.

The other issue is the subset of Traveller players who find almost any investment in Traveller at-the-moment simply impossible. I feel for them, truly. It's the old "Games get me through times of no money better than money gets me through times of no games." Indeed, in the Kickstarter video, I say that this project is a labor of love. It is about making a living, but is is more than that.

So, I am thinking about instituting

$2 Pledge Level.
"I am unemployed." Your Pledge registers your support for Traveller5 even though you don't ave the resources to buy the game right now. When this project ends, we'll talk about what can be done.

It won't work if everyone Pledges at the $2 level, but gamers are a great group of people, and I don;t think that will happen. In anycase, I am still ruminating on this one. Tell me your thoughts at Traveller5@farfuture.net


No comments:

Post a Comment